How to remove black mold

Photo Credit: HGTV

Mould is definitely not something you want to find in your house, especially black mould. But it happens, and sometimes even in newer homes. If black mould is too far gone, it can cause serious health issues and can cost a fourtune to remove. Mould thrives in damp and humid environments so if you live in a humid place, you may be more susceptible to mould, or if your home isn't well ventilated. If you can catch the issue and address it quickly, that's better than letting it sit. Black mould can really affect your immune system making it hard to stay healthy even if you're eating healthy food and getting enough exercise. That's why it's so important to remove it as soon as you detect it. Removing any black mould is a process, so it will take some time. You'll also need to purchase some protective gear and possibly crawl in small confined spaces.

You don't need to call the professionals unless you think the mould is really far gone. With HGTV's guide, you'll be able to learn how to remove mould on your own. The first thing you'll need to do is get rid of any moisture in your home. This means checking for leaks and fixing them otherwise you'll never get rid of the mould. You should also seal off your doorways, so if your mould issue is in the bathroom, which is a common place for black mould, seal off the door way with some heavy plastic. You also need to take preventative measures to protect your own health while you're getting rid of the mould. So you need to buy some gear too. You'll need a good quality respirator specifically for black mould; then you'll cover your skin completely too. Then you'll need to learn what kills mould. Usually, some soap and warm water is good for getting it off of the walls; then you'll need to use a black mould removal product. You can also use vinegar to get rid of mould by spraying straight undiluted vinegar on the black mould spots. Let it sit on the mould for about 15 minutes and then wipe clean. Use Q-tips and old toothbrushes to get into the smaller cracks and crevices where mould is lingering.

Once you're all done cleaning really well, you'll want to ensure the room is completely dry. What kills mould is dry air, so keep it as dry as possible in your home. Get an air vent fan to push out the humidity or get a dehumidifier to keep moisture levels low. If you dry your laundry indoors, this could also cause a lot of excess moisture in the house as well. So be sure that you use a vent fan or a fan directed out the window to push the humid air out of your home. Using your bathroom fan is also a must whenever you take a shower. Be sure to turn it on as soon as you get into the shower and leave it on until all of the steam is gone. When you're cooking, a hood fan is also essential especially when you're boiling or steaming foods, and there is a lot of moisture being released into the air. The hood fan should just suck up all of that humidity leaving your home less humid. So if you've got some black mould in your home that you've just noticed, don't hesitate to fix the problem. If you have way too much black mould and you don't know where to start, be sure to call a company who specialises in getting rid of black mould.***

Learn MORE at HGTV

To help with slow website load, we have put all photos for this article here: View photo gallery.

Privacy Policy