11 Things You Should Never Put in the Microwave
There are certainly more things than this number that you should never put in the microwave, but we can begin with this list, at least, of 11 Things You Should Never Put in the Microwave. Sometimes the items just are not labeled, or there are other reasons not to put them into the microwave. Microwaves are a kitchen appliance that most of us probably think we could not live without, although there is plenty of controversy surrounding their use. A microwave heats and cooks foods through a process of radiation. The radiating molecules agitate the liquid that is contained in the food and heats it up, thus cooking it. That is also why dry things don’t work in the microwave because it is the wet part, the liquid that is affected in the microwaving process. The reason that microwaving is so great is because of the speed at which this reaction occurs and also how evenly the cooking occurs as a result. Since the liquids in foods are generally evenly spaced throughout, the heat is too. This, of course, changes depending on the water content of the food item. The microwave concept has been around since the mid-1940s, but it was the late 1960s before a counter top microwave oven was developed. Since that time, microwave ovens have become a really indispensable part of every kitchen.
At first, when people started to use microwaves in the late 1960s, there were plenty of horror stories about their misuse and abuse. Today, though, beyond small minor mishaps such as the occasional egg still in its shell exploding when it is microwaved (never do this!) most people use and understand the tool well. Still, there are plenty of things to remember about using the microwave oven. And this article lets you know about a few of them. If you keep the principles of what the microwave does, which are agitating molecules that contain liquid, it might help you remember what it cannot do, or what it can negatively impact. So metals are a big no-no in the microwave, and that includes foil. This is because these materials sort of bounce the radiation back rather than absorbing it. This can cause quite a few zaps! and zings! in your microwave before you get it turned off again.
Microwave ovens are a terrific invention, even though some people think they may be harmful to our health, and that they might destroy some of the nutritious elements contained in our food. That debate may rage for a very long time, perhaps forever being inconclusive, but people will likely continue to use the microwave, regardless of what the research might suggest about it. Be sure to read the article, though, so that you are using your microwave in the best way possible.
Learn MORE at Good Housekeeping
To help with slow website load, we have put all photos for this article here: View photo gallery.